Monday 12 September 2011

Life in the Huge lane (2) – On the hunt for Wii!

Life in the Huge lane (2) – On the hunt for Wii!
The first rule to weight shedding/toning up is patience – wink, wink as to where I am going with this lol. They say that it typically takes 12 weeks for any change in weight to be noticed. I so wasn’t pleased to hear this. Luckily for me though, quite a bit has occurred since my blog a month ago. My arms, legs and thighs are getting slightly toned and I can finally see knuckles on my knees. My tummy isn’t there yet but it’s flatter than it was four weeks ago and my love ‘handles’ can’t quite be handled that easily.
Also due to my being restless and trying to enjoy the whole process, I have taken to mixing different exercise routines. According to ‘’Fitness’’ magazine, completing several different exercises burns 30% more calories. So instead of just walking, I try walking and jogging – more walking and less jogging though. Also skipping (jumping rope) does wonders to us. As opposed to other forms of exercise that are area specific – it works your whole body – arms, legs, tummy and shoulders. Another plus is that you don’t have to leave home to do it. If you are interested in one, they stock them at the fitness store in The Palms for N1,200 or N3,500.
It is often said that achieving the right weight is 60% down to eating right and 40% down to exercise. In the last four weeks, I have taught my body to learn that it’s not the boss of me – I control this ship! No eating just because I want to or because people around me are. For instance, at Chocolate Royal a couple of weeks back with Hady & Nadia, I only had a starter (how boring) because I had had a meal earlier. Previously, I would have ordered an extra extra cheesy pepperoni pizza and taken some slices home. So now, I have stopped meals after 7pm (except on very rare occasions) and start each day with a glass of warm water. Because of this, I find that I tend to eat twice a day and supplement with fruits. I am not saying this is the best option – some people say eating lots of smaller portions works for them – so I’d suggest studying yourself and finding out what’s right for you.
The other day at Soph’s place, she introduced me to the wonders of Wii! It’s perfect for mixing up different exercise techniques (and if you are an avid Disney channel watcher, you’ll love the characters). We jogged and danced for about 10 minutes and lost ~60 calories! Exercising was fun! Now I am on the hunt for my very own Wii to help speed up my toning process and help reduce my life in the HUGE lane.

p.s: The Female Walk Movement (or Walk It Off) is still on – ideas have been very helpful and are currently being looked at.
p.p.s: New words people use in describing weight gain: your husband is taking care of you, you are full, you have filled out, you are ripe, the time is right – what for please?
At the moment, watching Ruby (a first) on style network and I feel really bad for her. In this episode, she has put on even more weight despite restricting herself from all the fun foods – it just shows that it doesn’t happen overnight and we have to keep at it. 
Also check out my sister’s blog on http://bimpeoyewo-whatreallymatters.blogspot.com/ for what really matters.              

2 comments:

  1. I like how your staying dedicated to skipping because you don't get to see the effects of it for a while. But when you do your going to look all toned up all over our body. I still cannot believe you take works here in Nig. Now, that is true commitment.

    About wii I was going to tell you that they had some great games and exercises that help you keep fit and lose weight. It is really a great investment.

    I'm loving the blogs so far please keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bimpe. For being my first commenter, you win, drum roll...........a skipping/jumping rope!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete